Something for the "Count Your Blessings" file

April 9, 2007



My sister, who happens to be confined to a wheelchair, recently got a beautiful new minivan that is adapted to her needs and she is driving for the first time in her married life. She can pack up her three kids and get herself in the car independently. I talked to her today and for the first time ever, she was able to sign up in Relief Society to take a meal to someone in need. It made her so happy to be able to serve in such a simple way. She also relishes doing the most normal things, like being able to go to the store when she's out of diapers instead of having to wait for her husband to come home, or picking her kindergartner up at school. So, on those days when I'm feeling a lot like a taxi driver working for free, or all I want to do is stay home, or I'm prying month-old petrified french fries off of places in my car where I thought french fries could never get to, I'll think of my dear sis, treasuring being a "typical" mom of three kids, complete with the mysterious smells in the car and the cheerios stuck to the inside of the car window.

5 comments

  1. Yay! She needs to watch the "Mom My Ride" video now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for helping me remember to be grateful for these little things that I so take for granted. I am so happy for your sister! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A good reminder for us all to be grateful for the chores we are blessed to be able to do! How wonderful for your sister to feel like a typical mom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's great that your sister has that mobility now. My aunt was a single parent of 4 in a wheel chair, but her hand-driven car helped her get around and later to go to work.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your insights!

Latest Instagrams

© The Things I Do. Design by FCD.