Into the Memory File

October 8, 2007

The rolls came out of hibernation about 30 minutes before we were supposed to leave and rose up nicely.

The miracle of ovenspring (that big rise that happens in the oven just before the yeast finally succumbs to the heat) did the rest. We were well over a half an hour late to Mom's but no one seemed to mind. Warm from the oven, slathered with cream cheese icing, they were a lovely reward for all my worrying.

The rest of these pictures just make me smile. Just in case you think we are one of "those" families for which everything is perfect, think again. I hope I made it clear in my previous post that conference with kids is an ongoing work in progress. The pendulum swings from trying to keep little kids happy to trying to keep teenagers (and husbands) awake. The point is, we try. Here is the real story of the Nusses watching our church's General Conference Broadcast:
Here are Eric and my dad "pondering." This is Johnathan after working hard to encase his entire hand in silly putty. At least he is awake.

Here is Sam in the final 10 minutes of the last session (there are 4 two-hour sessions). He had been awake the whole time and then finally couldn't take it anymore.


Here are my neice, Sara and even my mom getting into the hand-encased-in-putty action. This is Crazy Aaron's Thinking Putty, one of my favorite products ever. It is like silly putty for grown-ups: big blobs in tins that come in brilliant, beautiful colors. I have used it for years to help my kids stay quiet in sacrament meeting, in primary and I am even using it sometimes in seminary for kids having trouble staying awake. It is cool stuff. It helps dissipate kinetic energy so you or your kids can focus. I really do use it to think sometimes, when I'm at the computer and I can't keep my hands busy knitting.

Evan and his cousin went upstairs and "watched" the broadcast on the internet but from downstairs it sounded more like they were staging a performance of Riverdance or maybe re-enacting some Roman battle. They made a pretty elaborate fort, among other activities. They've each been able to come up with a favorite talk when asked, though, so something seeped in.

So, I'm not sure if my family really got that much of substance out of conference, but they have the memories and as the years go by, they will appreciate it more and more, just as I continue to do. I would love to have an Enrichment class about this-everyone could share their ideas and we could make conference books for kids. I think I still have all my templates.

11 comments

  1. What a great idea to have an enrichment on this. I would love to have such a thing. :-) I loved your pictures, Brent also did a LOT of pondering. esp in that last session.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your family is listed right there will 99 % of the world! NORMAL! Yes, i guess even a Bishop can be in thoughtful "pondering" while watching. I think it is the soft lull of thier voices! I was sittin gin the back room studying while my landlady had confrence on. I nearly fell asleep back there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice job. Looks like conference at my house, minus the silly puddy. Actually, it was mostly us saying, "Temple, boys! Temple" and them saying, "Temple! YAY! Which one is Temple?" "It starts with a T" "This one? YAY! I only need the jar with coins now (tithing)." And stuff. Oh, the bingo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My conference sounded a lot like Cami's with the bingo.:) I bet the spirit in your house was nice and calming with all the pondering going on;)! And that silly putty looks super cool! Glad your cinnamon rolls turned out okay!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you had a good conference experience--after all, the cinnamon rolls turned out, and what else do you really need? I may have to look into that silly putty--it looks way fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great post. I did love that picture of our dear Bishop snoozing. I have even seen my beloved father snooze. Not a thing to be ashamed of there - why else would they put it in a magazine for us later :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, Kellie, how homesick this makes me feel. Conference truly became a holiday for me full of sweet memories, sweet cinnamon rolls and many sweet spiritual experiences. I hope I can bring the spirit of conference that we had growing up into my home.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am dying for a cinnamon roll now! I love that you posted the sleeping picture...but he probably doesn't. I remember my Dad being so excited for conference, and then falling asleep. They work too hard don't they.

    ReplyDelete
  9. love it! SO glad the rolls turned out great. fun tradition!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved all the pictures of your family enjoying conference. What great memories for you and your kids. I love family events like this. The cinnamon rolls look heavenly.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, an Enrichment class is a great idea! That thinking putty looks awesome. One of the great things about Conference is that you get more than one chance to ponder it--if the live "pondering" is less than ideal, at least there's the internet and the Ensign for more in-depth pondering later on. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your insights!

Latest Instagrams

© The Things I Do. Design by FCD.