My Gift to Myself

November 29, 2007

I just bought my Christmas gift. I went to the store and bought 6 0r 7 pre-made meals: Lasagna, marinated salmon, non-homemade stuffed shells, frozen pizzas, etc. They were not inexpensive, and I could have done the freezer thing, which I often do, but my heart rate is already elevated about 20 points as I look at the calendar and start negotiating with Eric about how we fit buying a tree in between my seminary meeting, the Stake Presidency's Christmas reception and the wrestling team service project. Then I have to face the fact that I have to miss both Evan's first band concert AND Sam's first meet because I scheduled a class 6 months ago on a Wednesday night, etc., etc., repeat approximately three times a week till Christmas... Now, however, several cold but precious reminders that I was in fact born into the millenial modern age and not onto a 19th century farm are now in my freezer, standing at the ready to save me from ordering pizza without a coupon on those upcoming pre-holiday nights when dinner preparation falls to the bottom of the long list. I feel so much better knowing that in the next month, there are at least a few days for which dinner is made. I can handle coming up with a salad on a busy night.

9 comments

  1. good for you. totally worth it. i've been considering this kind of thing, too (like Dinner Done or one of the many other places like it). i vote for sanity any day over homemade dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes dinner is just more than a mom can accomplish in a day--with everything else that needs to be done. And I hear you about ordering pizza without a coupon--the horror! I am glad you treated yourself to some stress-free dinnertimes. You deserve it, Kellie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so great that you have these at the ready. On crazy days I dread the question, "what's for dinner?" I usually answer in my too tired voice, YOYO (your on your own). Good job on thinking ahead, and being prepared.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it is so great that you bought some meals already prepared!! It is such a crazy time of year hopefully having a couple dinners made will help relieve some stress. It will be worth it for sure!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sad that your guilty admission is my daily life..... It is just so easy to pop it from the freezer to the oven when you've lost track of time. :-) I'm no where near as busy as you.... sometimes reading your blog of all the things that you do draws a dark shade between me and the light at the end of my tunnel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maybe I should get some premade meals too. It would save on my bills to restaurants and fast food places. It's good you are getting some stress off of you. Enjoy your yummy food!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My dear Kellie. You do SO MUCH. I seriously hope there isn't any actual GUILT about those meals in your freezer, only delightful anticipation. I was so deceived when I thought life would slow down as my kids got older!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i LOVE taking a meal from the freezer and popping it into the oven! it's just a giddy kind of joy that i don't have to cook that day! i've never tried the premade meals, but i'm tucking that one away for future reference....

    ReplyDelete
  9. YAY! I love premade meals all set to go! That's an awesome present to yourself. I should do it for myself too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your insights!

Latest Instagrams

© The Things I Do. Design by FCD.