Little Thing

April 8, 2008

About 4 years ago, I bought a Circle Journey Book to exchange with my niece. She lives far away and we seldom see each other. We sent it back and forth a few times, then she got busy with the life of a teenager and we haven't exchanged the book for about 2-1/2 years. Now we do things like text each other occasionally, and she came out to visit last summer, and I know she knows I love her, but I am always a bit wistful for more contact. Today, without any warning, I got the circle journey book back in the mail from this dear girl. It brightened my day so much. It is such a little thing, but her sweet gesture of searching through her room to find it and get it back into circulation meant so much. I can't wait to fill it up with my latest news and maybe a photo and a little treat and send it back to her. She works on the yearbook for her school and just got it submitted. How I can relate to that relief! I love that we have some similar interests. She is an absolutely wonderful girl and I hope we can continue to become better friends as she grows up.

5 comments

  1. what a beautiful idea, and a wonderful thing to receive. I have a dear friend with whom I've been trying to keep up a running correspondence like this. maybe I'll give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did this once with a girlfriend, it was a wonderful thing. How great of you to be such an involved auntie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds fun! I'm sure it was fun to get it in the mail.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a great idea! i might have to try this one with my nieces who are far away.

    ReplyDelete
  5. that's a great idea. And I love that you work so hard on building your relationship with your niece. I have six aunts and each of them is very special to me in their own way. As a kid,I always loved any opportunity to spend time with them and now that I live far from them I value their cards/letters/e-mails. Good reminder for me to do a better job of staying in touch with them.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your insights!

Latest Instagrams

© The Things I Do. Design by FCD.