Here is what we did:
- Flew into LA. I know, but it was waaayy cheaper. Next time we'll fly into the Bay Area.
- Drove up through the traffic and the Grapevine and the Great Valley to Le Grand, CA, and the charming, old, heritage-laden house where Gwen lives with her incredibly cool husband, Arlis.
- Had a fabulous dinner, made by our hosts.
- Walked around the town of Le Grand and was amazed and delighted by the lasting imprint of Gwen's family on the place.
- Slept blissfully in the pleasant, cool, valley night air.
- Went to Fresno to teach a class to an AWESOME group of knitters at Sheeper Than Therapy.
- Drove up the foothills of the Sierra Nevada to Wilsonia, CA, which is the best-ever little neighborhood of cabins right inside King's Canyon National Park. It has an interesting story that you can read about here and here.
- Hiked, gawked at giant pinecones, giant trees, giant rocks and amazing views.
- Played games.
- Ate fabulous meals.
- Played more games.
- Hiked more.
- Talked and talked with G and A.
- Hiked and played games and ate. (s'mores made with the little wrapped squares of Ghiardelli chocolate!!!!)
- Took about 500 photos
- Drove back to LA and flew home, having hardly believed I was actually in such a beautiful place.
But you know I have proof. So here you go. These and a few others are also on Facebook. More photos to come.
Gwen and Arlis--thank you from our hearts-this trip was very special!
|King's Canyon. Amazing.|
|In Black and White or Color. It's just gorgeous with|
soaring canyon walls and great granite monoliths and domes.
|Me, enjoying feeling Hobbit-like.|
|Arlis looks out coolly out on the view from a cool |
fire lookout tower.
|Giant Sequoia with a characteristic split|
at the bottom that is big enough inside for Eric
and I to live. Seriously.
|I'm a little crazy about this cabin.|
|The boys finished their hike a bit early and waited|
patiently for us.