Book Review: Their Eyes Were Watching God

October 15, 2012

Their Eyes Were Watching God, by Zora Neale Hurston
Genre: Adult Fiction
You might like this book if you are interested in post-civil war African-American culture in the American south.
I love this book. I love the vernacular language, spelled out phonetically so that you have to read it aloud so it makes sense. I love the powerful story of a woman in a difficult time in history trying to come to terms with herself and the expectations placed upon her by both family and friends. It's visceral and happy and sad and thought-provoking. A classic.

This time I listened to actress Ruby Dee read the book aloud and it completely transformed the story for me. It came alive in a way that it never has before for me, in spite of how much I've enjoyed it the couple of other times I've read it.

This is an important book for anyone to read and ponder.

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your insights!

Latest Instagrams

© The Things I Do. Design by FCD.