Lovely Autumn Recipes

November 2, 2012

I get recipes in my email box all the time and most of them go in the trash either because I already have a recipe for something similar, or I just don't want to overwhelm myself. These two, however, caught my eye due to their accessible yet exotic flavors and were very successful, even for my (getting better all the time) picky eater:

The first I made just before the power went out on Monday. I had bread rising just as we heard the fateful pop at 5:20, but I was able to get out my big electric roaster and bake the bread off in there. It wasn't pretty from being lifted off its rising pan, but it was perfect in all other ways. This soup was the perfect complement, and I'm back to enjoying it for lunches now that the power is back on. I hope you'll try it. I found it through my Allrecipies.com email subscription.

I followed the advice of some of the commenters and played around with spices. It's hearty, but very mild. I went Indian/Moroccan and used a tsp of cumin and a tsp of cinnamon to warm it up a bit. Next time I'm going to try it Mexican-style and add some taco seasoning and maybe some canned corn. I used canned ham from my food storage. This is a GREAT soup for food storage, because in a pinch you can use dried onion and garlic as well. Very nice.

Pumpkin Black Bean Soup
recipe image
Rated:rating
Submitted By: REEDYGAL
Photo By: mominml
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 30 Minutes
Ready In: 45 Minutes
Servings: 9

"This is a delicious soup that is even better reheated the next day. Easy to make too. Serve with a garnish of sour cream and toasted pumpkin seeds if desired."
INGREDIENTS:
3 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed
and drained
1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes
1/4 cup butter
1 1/4 cups chopped onion
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
4 cups beef broth
1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
1/2 pound cubed cooked ham
3 tablespoons sherry vinegar
DIRECTIONS:
1.Pour 2 cans of the black beans into a food processor or blender, along with the can of tomatoes. Puree until smooth. Set aside.
2.Melt butter in a soup pot over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic, and season with salt and pepper. Cook and stir until the onion is softened. Stir in the bean puree, remaining can of beans, beef broth, pumpkin puree, and sherry vinegar. Mix until well blended, then simmer for about 25 minutes, or until thick enough to coat the back of a metal spoon. Stir in the ham, and heat through before serving.


The second was so good I cannot WAIT to have another serving. So rich and so dang easy. This one came from my Martha Stewart Everyday cooking subscription, and there is also a video you can watch here. It's called Slow-Cooker Sweet and Spicy Chicken. My mind must be in warmer climes because it uses the same spice combination. Ha! I used some boneless, skinless thighs that I had in the freezer and instead of browning the chicken, I put it in the crockpot still frozen and toasted the spices by themselves in my frying pan instead. Worked great and easier for me since I forgot to defrost (a fairly common occurrence). I served this with couscous and it was perfect.


Everyday Food, March 2012
  • Prep Time20 minutes
  • Total Time3 hours 50 minutes
  • YieldServes 4 to 6
Add to Shopping List

Ingredients

  • 2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • Coarse salt and ground pepper
  • 4 chicken leg quarters (2 1/2 pounds total)
  • 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 medium yellow onion, cut into 1/2-inch wedges (root end left intact)
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 3-inch piece peeled fresh ginger, sliced into rounds
  • 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes
  • 1/2 cup raisins

Directions

  1. In a large zip-top bag, combine cumin, cinnamon, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper; add chicken and toss to coat. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high. Cook chicken, skin side down, until golden, about 4 minutes; flip and cook 2 minutes.
  2. In a 5-to-6-quart slow cooker, place onion, garlic, and ginger. Add chicken, skin side up, then top with tomatoes and their liquid and raisins. Cover and cook on high until chicken is tender, 3 1/2 hours (or 6 hours on low).

1 comment

  1. I am definitely going to have to try these! I love quick and easy and yummy recipes!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your insights!

Latest Instagrams

© The Things I Do. Design by FCD.