Friends in Nashville

November 8, 2016

The title of this post could be "A Mormon, a Jew, a Quaker, a Lapsed Catholic, and an Indian with a Southern Accent Walked into a Bar..."




Liz Longley onstage, as interpreted by the Prisma app. 
Probably too long a title, and not really the most important part, but it's true. I did in fact spend last weekend in Nashville, TN with an impressive group of women of varied backgrounds, and it was, as one of them put it, "a joy." This matters, because girls' weekends are hard for me. Every time. I feel out of place in groups. Always. But I go, because people and relationships mean more to me than my own weaknesses, and the friend who invited me has become so treasured in the year since we met that I put the fears aside and joined in. I flew to Nashville and I'm so glad I did. As generally happens when I take this kind of leap, I was enriched and uplifted.

We met up on Thursday at a concert performed by an artist you should check out, because her voice is amazing. Her name is Liz Longley, and she has become a favorite since my friend introduced me. Live music is an important experience for me. Being able to feel the beat in my body and see the performers move and feel the music themselves brings any composition alive in new ways. I still love a good recording, but in that moment of witnessing performance, I feel connection both with myself and the song.

The next couple of days were spent in a pleasant round of sleeping, walking, shopping, listening to more music (including the Grand Ole Opry!! A bucket list item!) talking, laughing and eating. I bought some boots, as one does in Nashville, and on Sunday morning, went to church in a lovely congregation of my church.

An aside: I love that in my church, the services are consistent across the entire world. I can look up where a meeting will be based on my location, go to the building, know what to do and where to go. The feeling of being at home is really helpful when you are in a new place.

Anyway, here are the photos. They tell the story better than the words.

An iconic yarn and sewing shop. Lives up to the reputation. 

An iconic neon sign.

At the cupcake ATM. It was fun to have a robot
deliver a lovely cupcake!

At the live broadcast of Sirius XM Radio's Friday afternoon
country music show. 

My angel friend. 

This Uber van had a full Karaoke set up. Lights,
disco ball, the works. So fun and funny!

Inside the Ryman Theater. Another icon. I know. It's an iconic
city. 

This show was amazing. I'm so happy I got to see the
ACTUAL Grand Ole Opry. It's not just a place, it's an institution,
a musical revue show that has been broadcasting forever. 

Me with some lovely ladies, sitting inside a giant Christmas
ornament. Everything is bigger in Nashville. 




Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your insights!

Latest Instagrams

© The Things I Do. Design by FCD.