Book Review: The Christmas Sweater

December 7, 2000


The Christmas Sweater by Glenn Beck
I read the Kindle version.
You may like this book: If you like stories of redemption, faith, finding joy after hard things happen, and sentimental Christmas stories.


Okay, let's just get it out of the way. I like Glenn Beck. I think he is interesting, bold and honest. I don't always agree with what he says, and I know he is mostly an entertainer, but these days, most of the news media is. Let's move on now.
So, with that in mind and knowing that this book had at least somewhat of an autobiographical side to it, I was curious and suggested it for my in-person book group. I had to miss the meeting, so I don't know what everyone else thought of it, but I found it readable and more enjoyable than I thought it would be since I usually avoid Christmas Tear-Jerker type books like the plague. The story is fairly predictable, although I was thrown for a minute by the twist at the end, and the heart-strings are tugged as one would expect.  So, it is a nice little read for this time of year. What I actually liked the most though, was Beck's epilogue in which he tells about the synthesis of the story, explains the autobiographical connection, and basically bears his testimony of his beliefs without getting dogmatic or specific about his Mormonism, thus leaving it accessible to anyone who has ever searched for more meaning in their life or come back from a serious challenge. This part of the book was true to his ways-honest, no punches pulled, and pleading for folks to consider, just for a moment, looking at things from a different vantage point. So, if you don't think you could stomach the book, then check out the epilogue while you're browsing at the bookstore. You might be surprised to find out that Mr. Beck is a real human being.

Oh, and of course I LOVED the knitting content. It IS about a sweater, after all. 

Latest Instagrams

© The Things I Do. Design by FCD.