The "Glamorous" Life of a Professional Knitter

April 21, 2009


This week has been dominated by yarn and needles, even more so than usual. I've been doing a lot of knitting for hire (samples for shops and models that will be photographed for books and patterns) and I have a deadline, plus I leave soon for a teaching trip to Atlanta, plus I just had a design accepted for publication in a national knitting magazine. It is my first commercially published pattern and I'm very excited, but the deadlines are pretty iron-clad, so in the middle of this other deadline, I had to take time to knit a sample and get my contract sent to the publisher. Between now and when I leave later in the week, I have a local class to teach, I have to print out all my handouts for classes this weekend, knit another sleeve, sew up the deadline sweater, pack up my samples and notes, and throw a few things to wear into a suitcase. Usually this knitting thing is pretty relaxed and under my control, but every once in a while, I'm totally at the mercy of the calendar and then the clock as the hours and minutes tick down and I can't make stitches fast enough. Good thing I really, really enjoy it. I do actually, and even though I'm stressed about deadlines, I get to work while catching up on episodes of Masterpiece Theater, so I can't really complain. So, I still have a some fun pictures from our trip to post, and a few other things to write about, but they'll have to wait until after I get back and I can put down the needles for a bit.

2 comments

  1. I never thought, in all my days that I would see a blog post about the stresses of knitting. :-) LOL!!! I am glad that you enjoy it! Is the pattern that you made that is getting published a newborn peanut for photography? :-) LOL i doubt it is that simple. good luck on your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the pattern being published. That is very exciting. I hope things even out for you soon, and you have a safe trip. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your insights!

Latest Instagrams

© The Things I Do. Design by FCD.