Overheard

November 2, 2009

I'm still working on getting more beautiful Autumn foliage photos posted from my trip. Three words: My Computer? Dead. In the meantime, posting from the family PC, here is a transcription of a conversation between all of us at our weekly family council where we calendar and discuss family matters. It starts out a little dry, but gets better, I promise.

Me: I need some cooperation in my quest to not have the front room look like a walk-in closet. I understand that you need a place to dump your stuff, but can we come up with a better solution than it just being all over the front room? Can we put all your stuff in the armoire if I make room? How about if each of you have your own basket by the window?

Sam: Why does it stress you out so much?

Sara: Yes, what is the big deal? It's just so much easier to have everything just stay there, then I can grab it on my way out the door.

Eric: Because that is our front room (we have no entryway-front door dumps right into the living room) and it is nice for that area to be neat and tidy when people come to the door.

Sam: I know, let's just blindfold people as they come in the door. We can make it a ritual, like the Japanese remove their shoes and put on slippers.

(Universal laughter)

Eric : I know, let's blindfold MOM instead, then she won't know what the room looks like. Problem solved!

(Yes, that was my HUSBAND, who made a show of being on MY side. This got a unanimous response as being by far the best solution and the discussion dissolved into laughter. Naturally, no real solutions were found.)

The good news is that all my housekeeping problems have been solved. I'll just pretend they don't exist. Blindfolds all around, friends! Maybe this won't be so bad.

Here's another taste of the Autumn Foliage visual feast I experienced in NY and Connecticut:

9 comments

  1. I love it! My kids don't understand why I freak out about stuff all over the living room either. I love the new "solution." Do we need to bring our own bandannas to cover our eyes or are those provided?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome. I am now prepared to be given a blind fold upon my next visit. The funny thing is that your hubby's solution IS better then Sams because none of us CARE what your living room looks like. Really, it is usually only the mommy of the house who cares. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your husband is just the funniest guy. I find his humor highly amusing :) And christie is right--we really don't care about what the living room looks like, because we came to see YOU, not the house.

    speaking of which, we should really try to get together again, shouldn't we? I'll try to remember to send you an email next time I check into my aolmail

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is why I give my family absolutely no options. I think of my solution, impose it on the family, and then continue to spend years of nagging them to actually follow the rules to no avail. Really, the only thing to do is provide buckets and baskets at the dump site and hope they notice. Very frustrating. Good luck with that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, so can I just say that THIS conversation is an instant replay of our house. I don't care what your house looks like, and hopefully you don't care about mine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty funny. I can relate.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hah! love it. we had the same problem in our old house, sans teenagers though. no entry, just a room. good luck coming up with a more viable solution than you being blindfolded!! :)

    That's too bad about your iMac. I'm always wondering how much longer ours will last. We did replace the power supply within the past 6 mo, so hopefully we'll get another year or two out of it. I know ours are about the same vintage. Our wireless keyboard died from a spilled can of Diet Coke, courtesy of Henry. But we found a decent $30 replacement.

    anyway enough blabbling from me...lovely picture. looking forward to more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Who knew the answer was so easy?? :) Very funny conversation and a very lovely fall picture!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha!! That's hilarious. I can't wait to see your pics and I love how this one turned out!! I'm soooo sorry about your computer. That is uber frustrating!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your insights!

Latest Instagrams

© The Things I Do. Design by FCD.