Tomorrow, we will be celebrating bounty. We are so very fortunate right now. We have a job and a snug home and 5 healthy kids. We have faith and hope for the future. Life is good.
Tomorrow we will also be gathering. My dear friend Julia and our other dear friends the Yarns are coming over to fill the spaces around our table with laughter and conversation and that other, better kind of bounty-the plenitude of loving relationships. There will be 9 of us, which sounds just right.
Much better than 4.
And lastly, we will be eating fabulous food. Made by me and several others. I have been trying really hard not to nibble today, but I was not terribly successful. So, I already know that everything is really going to be delicious. Fabulously so. I can't wait. I like cooking, and I'm pretty good at organizing and getting a big meal like this on the table, so I'm looking forward to that last rush of getting things ready. I got so much done today however, that tomorrow morning's cooking session is going to be pretty dang relaxed. I may even be able to have a book in my hand while stirring. I always like that.
Here is what I did today:
- Brined the turkey
- Made the cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, and candied sweet potatoes
- Watched my kids clean the main level of the house and fold laundry while I cooked.
- Cleaned up the front yard
- Did a little final shopping and sent others to the store for the final, final shopping
- Ran the dishwasher 3 times
- Made a batch of banana bread
- Put the turkey in to cook overnight (Yes, for real. Look here, and if you're concerned about slow cooking poultry, be sure to check out the comments. I researched this and I will wake up to a perfectly-DONE turkey, a heavenly-smelling house, a clean kitchen and an empty oven)
Tomorrow morning, all I have left to do is:
- Make the rolls, the gravy and a couple of side dishes
- Cook and laugh with my pal Julia while she makes her side dish
- Set a fun, festive table
- Give Thanks
Have a wonderful day!