My Organizing Project

April 10, 2011

There is still a cute button over on my sidebar that will come down later this week. A while back I joined a challenge at simplemom.net to clean out 5 hotspots over the course of 5 weeks. I started out whole-heartedly, cleaning out my closet to a degree that it hasn't enjoyed in years. It's actually staying neat, too. I love that.

Throughout the 4 weeks after that, a new hotspot was revealed each Monday morning with the challenge to conquer the clutter in that area by Friday of the same week-working quickly, being decisive about purging, etc. After the closet was the kids' stuff, then the paper clutter, the refrigerator and pantry, then for the last week, a hotspot of my choice.

Sadly, I have to report failure, at least in terms of the time frame set. As I've complained about over and over in this space, the last month has been really strange for me in terms of my time being given over to things outside of my home. So, after my great results the first week, I fully intended to do the other projects. I took photos of before. I downloaded the lists, I put blocks of time on my daily task lists.  But none of it got done.

But you know what? I love my closet. That one thing has made such a difference for me. I solved my ironing problem, I have a better sense of what I actually wear and don't wear, and have continued to downsize my wardrobe.

So, I have to look at the upside and say that I did as much as I could at the time and it made a difference. Maybe I'm just making excuses to ease my own mind, but so be it. I officially excuse myself. I did my best and what I did accomplish brings daily good feelings. Do I want the good feelings from tackling those other jobs? Sure. But at another time. Until then, I'll revel in my perfectly functioning closet and keep working on the other stuff like I usually do--a little at a time.

1 comment

  1. Hi Kellie, saw you read Elegance of the Hedgehog-i LOVED IT, would love to know your opinion since someone else I knew walked away from it. You may also enjoy Thousand Autumns of Jacob DeZoet.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your insights!

Latest Instagrams

© The Things I Do. Design by FCD.