The Story of the Irresistible Force and the Immoveable Object

December 19, 2011

Once upon a time there was a huge list that all seemed to be priority 1 or 2. No 3's or 4's in the bunch. Add to that a huge holiday in 6 days, 2 dr. appointments, a funeral, 2 wrestling meets, 3 family members coming into town and all the usual stuff like laundry and cooking and breathing and sleeping and all that.

Yep, we're all there this week. Time is the irresistible force. 115 hours till Sunday. The List is the immoveable object.  We all have one. So what are the options? There is really only one and that is to choose peace. Yes, choose it. It is something I have to do everyday. At times like this anxiety rises in my body like a flood and it threatens always to carry me,  flailing,  down a raging torrent, far from where I want to be.

Instead, I must choose peace.

While it seems a simplistic solution, it really entails everything. To choose peace is to acknowledge the Irresistible Force and the Immoveable Object, take note of the trajectory, and then step out of the path of the collision. Yep, I'm just going to move to higher ground. That is all I can do. The collision still happens so Yes, that means there be some carnage in the way of things undone, or done imperfectly. Packages will arrive after Christmas, but will contain just as much love on Monday as on Sunday. The daughter's trim and closet doors might not get painted till January and yes, the room might have to be partly dismantled again. That might be the best thing to happen so that I can sleep, or spend meaningful time with my sister and kids, or take the time to properly think about and honor the life of our dear friend who just died. The fridge and cars might have to wait another week to get cleaned and yes, I may feel embarrassed at how they look. So yes, stepping to higher ground doesn't mean that the stuff I fear won't happen. The force still meets the object, it just means I'm not in the way. I'm not getting shredded by the shrapnel. I'm watching, but I've got my kevlar body armor on and I am remembering that people, not things are important. Feelings and kindness expressed are more important than getting the list checked off.

So, here I go, putting on my playlists with names like "Favorite Christmas" and "Upbeat" and turning the speakers up loud and JUST. DOING. WHAT. I. CAN. With all the love in my heart.

Please have a Merry Week Before Christmas, friends.

And live happily now, ok?  Ever after will take care of itself.

5 comments

  1. good for you, for doing your best not to get crushed! I hope you have a Merry Christmas, with lots of love and family around you. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry Christmas to you, too, Kellie. And thank you: I needed to hear this today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is more helpful than going to a psychiatrist. Well, never been to one, but after reading this, I won't need to make an appointment! Thank you for sharing your sanity with the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Goodness Kellie this is well written. I agree whole heartedly. Keep moving forward with all that love in your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh yes. I had this wave of realization wash over me a few times. I'm much happier having chosen to wrap up the yards and yards of fabric for my daughters un-made pajamas and have spent Christmas Eve making and decorating a gingerbread house and taking plates of goodies to friends than holing away in my "workshop" sewing away and missing all of that. It was a good year for deciding that whatever sewn gifts I want to give must be finished by Thanksgiving. : )

    Thanks for sharing your wisdom and insight. And thank you for the nook gift. I did find the card and I felt your love when it arrived. It even got here before Christmas (assuming mine was one of the packages you were stressing about). Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your insights!

Latest Instagrams

© The Things I Do. Design by FCD.