Book Review: The Girl of Fire and Thorns

November 1, 2012

The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson
Genre: YA Fantasy
You might like this book if you enjoy human stories of growing up and growing brave. It is set in places that might remind you of somewhere you've heard of, but are just different enough to spark your imagination.

My friend Erin has never failed me on a book recommendation, so when I found this at the library one day, and in my current mood of reading like there's no tomorrow, I picked it up. I loved it. I wrapped myself in blankets and scarves during Superstorm Sandy and waited out the cold hours till our power came on with this book, and it warmed me right up.

It's the story of the princess that usually gets ignored. The second-born. The not-so-pretty one. You know. Well I definitely know. I'm a second-born daughter who definitely did not attract too much attention when I was young, so from the beginning, I felt like I could relate to Elisa.

She's married off at age 16 in a political move that's supposed to turn the tide of a war, but it turns out that what is actually needed are the skills and gifts of the girl herself. She experiences a lovely character arc of self-discovery and the story is well-crafted, with enough clever plot lines to keep me truly interested to the last.

It doesn't have a formulaic happy ending, nor does it have a sad ending. It's a good ending for the character, and I came to really like her. I would definitely look for more in a series if the author decides to keep telling Elisa's story.

Sometimes it's good to have to wait out a storm!

1 comment

  1. Ah, there is a second: The Crown of Embers. I haven't read it (yet), but Corinne did, and really liked it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your insights!

Latest Instagrams

© The Things I Do. Design by FCD.