Another New Yearsy Kind of Post In the Middle of January

January 14, 2014

 I've been drawn to this quote today: 

If we're free from the burden of trying to be completely original, we can stop trying to make something out of nothing, and we can embrace influence instead of running away from it.
It's from a small, quirky little book called Steal Like an Artist: 10 Things Nobody Told You About Being Creative  by Austin Kleon. I love this book, by the way.


And every time I see those words I feel better somehow. And these: 


The whole idea of creating a life as collaboration that will always involve failure rather than a gut-wrenching, teeth-clenching competition between me and a whole universe full of perfect people feels much better. It reminds me to be humble, and value the good things others do rather than always feeling like I either win or lose based on one tiny glimpse into their life. Instead, I can be enriched, then choose either to be positively influenced by their work or else let it go and realize I actually don't have the same taste or strengths or color sense or parenting style or experiences or resources or whatever.


It also somehow reminds me of this loveliness from the scriptures: 

And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them.

Being me is all I'm ever going to be. I can never be anyone else. But I can learn from anyone else if I'm open to it.  And I can become strong. Which leads me to this:


Oh My Word

So, I didn't realize this was a thing. I got the idea from an online class I took that had 30 people in it. Then I heard about it in from a blogger I'm following. Then I found out that people make jewelry and there are whole websites and books and Pinterest boards about this one word idea. So, right off the bat I'm not in any way original in this, but if feels right, so I'm embracing what I see as a positive influence.

Ta da, I have chosen a word of the year.

Instead of resolutions (nope. not me) or goals (i want everything, and now, so those are also problematic), I picked a word. A word to be a lens through which to view choices that I'll face this year. I am too easily influenced by anything that comes before my eyes, and I want to be reminded to be true to myself. To align myself with what I truly, madly, deeply believe. And if I AM influenced by someone else, it will be mindful, an act of alignment, rather than just being swept away by comparisons.

It feels good, and now that I have some of that jewelry, I have a talisman to slide my fingers over while I slow down, think,  and and try to do better at this one thing.

I like the idea of embracing influence. Instead of running away.

The key to everything, right? Probably not, but already,
 itis sticking in my mind in a most satisfying way. 

2 comments

  1. This is fabulous! YOU are fabulous! I would love to see your key sometime!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your insights!

Latest Instagrams

© The Things I Do. Design by FCD.