A Little Preventative Gratitude

March 5, 2015

This quote from President Monson helped me today so I shared it on the Facebooks.

How can we cultivate within our hearts an attitude of gratitude? President Joseph F. Smith, sixth President of the Church, provided an answer. Said he: “The grateful man sees so much in the world to be thankful for, and with him the good outweighs the evil. Love overpowers jealousy, and light drives darkness out of his life.” He continued: “Pride destroys our gratitude and sets up selfishness in its place. How much happier we are in the presence of a grateful and loving soul, and how careful we should be to cultivate, through the medium of a prayerful life, a thankful attitude toward God and man!”9

My use of facebook has pretty much stayed limited to what I talked about in this post and it's going okay. Sometimes I still do get sucked in though and scroll down my feed. Wow. I'm such an INFP that I always FEEL things when people post them. I end up feeling bad about a complaint about the snow, and even feeling weirdly guilty that I LOVE the snow. It's truly a strange sensation to hesitate to share my delight in the way snow quiets the world and makes it look clean or my sweet memories of snow days. What??

So, you see, I'm just too impressionable. Too emotionally sensitive. And maybe to you that sounds babyish and that I should just get a life and not care about what other people say. I know. I think that too sometimes, but I have a velcro brain. Nothing ever leaves it unless I pull it off with much of tugging and that awful velcro sound. I will find myself puzzling over a negative facebook post hours after I saw it. "Was that meant for me?" "Am I not a good friend?" "Wait, why was I not invited?" "Am I an idiot for thinking such and such about X news story?" Yes people. This happens to me.

Invariably, that's when I need quotes like the one above.

So, post on people, post on. You get to write whatever you want. And you will. And it will haunt me.


Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your insights!

Latest Instagrams

© The Things I Do. Design by FCD.